Monday, January 29, 2007

We've survived the first 2 1/2 weeks...

And she's thriving!

I told my sister today that the past 2 1/2 weeks have been the longest of my life, but at the same time have gone by the fastest. I can't believe that we're finally the parents to this beautiful baby girl, and at the same time I can't imagine life without her now.

Most of the past couple of weeks has consisted of being home, lots of breastfeeding, lots of naps and lots of poopy diapers! We've had some visitors here and there, have ventured out a few times, but mostly we've just focused on adjusting to our new roles of mother and daughter.

At 4 days old we took Elizabeth to her first MD appointment. She was up one ounce from the weight when we brought her home (she was 6lb 8 oz then). Since I'm breastfeeding exclusively, the NP had us come back on Friday (3 days later) for a weight check. By that point my milk had been in for a few days, and what a difference that made! She was up to 7lb 1oz!

Today we took her for her 2 week checkup. Todd and I could tell that she'd grown some, but imagine my surprise when they gave me her stats! She'd grown 2 3/4 inches (from 19" to 21 3/4") in her 2 1/2 weeks of life. In 10 days since her last weight check she'd gained a full pound. The NP had stated at the last visit that they hope to see an ounce a day, so I was thrilled when she almost doubled what the goals are. All in all she was declared to be doing great, looking happy and healthy and didn't need any shots today. :-)

It definitely confirmed to me that I'm doing things right. I certainly don't think I'm the most perfect mother to ever grace the planet. Sometimes I look up and realize I haven't changed her diaper in FAR too long. When I'm not fully awake in the middle of the night I tend to get frustrated, and wish I could just roll over and go back to sleep. But then she looks into my eyes...I see her sweet little face and wonder how I could want to do anything but nourish this little angel and do my part to have her grow into a happy healthy child.

As much as I don't want to wish away her infancy, I can't wait until that first "real" smile, the first hugs and sloppy kisses, the first time she says "mama". It will be here all too soon, I'm sure. Until then I'll settle for sleepy, gassy smiles and the way my heart is full each time she turns her head and opens her eyes at the sound of my voice. While it's tough to be what keeps this little girl safe and sound, clean and full I wouldn't trade my new title of mom for anything in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home